Friday, June 11, 2010

Day one.... arrival!

I guess I should start off with a little bit about who I am. My name is Gina, and I am 35 years old. I live in the beautiful Gulf city of Pensacola, Florida. I am a single mom (by choice) to the most awesome daughter, who we call Tater Tot. I have always wanted to be a mom, but being a mom isn't ALL that I am. I am an ER nurse, a sister, a daughter, a friend. I am pretty laid back. I work a crazy schedule. I love to laugh, and dance around the living room to disco music with the Tot. My favorite moments are when she runs to me when I pick her up from the babysitters, and when she crawls up into my lap, and when she falls asleep in my arms :) Okay, well, pretty much any moment with her is going to be a favorite moment.

So I have made the decision to use cloth diapers on my now 20-month old daughter. We have been using disposable up until this point. There are actually quite a few reasons I made the switch. Cost..... I can pay for one cloth diaper shell/insert/booster what I pay for a box of disposables. And the cloth is reusable!!! I know of people who have had the same cloth diapers for at least two children. Talk about economical! Cuteness..... Have you seen some of the designs for shells these days???? OMG! Can we say SWEETCHEEKS?!?! Footprint.... After the last couple of months with the BP oil spill threatening my favorite beach (Pensacola Beach) I realize that I need to do more to save this planet for my little Tater Tot. Now I am NOT going to get all "granola," start composting, etc. I am just doing a small part to reduce waste. Popularity.... Cloth Diapering is becoming more mainstream these days. I can find all kinds of support for this venture online, from friends, and even right here in good ole Pensacola!

Now, for all of you out there thinking "I just can't do it.... so much laundry! So much effort!" please know that there are many different options nowdays. I have a friend who is starting to use gDiapers. This is a cloth shell with a disposable insert. You can even flush it!!! No real effort/laundry involved. I myself am taking a bit of a bigger plunge. Cloth inserts in my shells. I will, however, give my babysitter a break and purchase some disposable inserts for the Tot to use while there. I haven't yet discussed my experiment with my babysitter, but she has been wonderful to work with, and I don't forsee much of a problem. I will most definitely let you know how that turns out. Will talk to her about it this weekend.

I ordered some GroBaby's off of a wonderful website at a great steal!! I will be adding their button shortly because EVERYONE needs to check out this site.

The GroBaby's came in the mail today :) I am super excited to get started!!! I think I will start prepping them this weekend to start use on Tuesday, so the Tot can get used to them before the weekend. Now all I need is to get to the grocery store to buy some detergent that is CD safe. I ordered some Rockin Green online(cause that apparently is highly recommended), but it hasn't arrived yet, so if I want to start this next week, I gotta start it right. I also need to go and pick up a small garbage can with a lid to use as a diaper pail. Man, oh man. The initial output for this cloth diapering thing seems like alot, but in the long run I know it will be a great thing. And, I can reuse all this stuff for the next little munchkin!!!!

So I will keep you up to date on this crazy journey I am about to undertake. I probably won't post again until Tuesday (that whole crazy work schedule thing!) but look forward to sharing the "prepping" experience!

Tata for now!
TaterTotMom

No comments:

Post a Comment